As you know, DJ Armin Van Buuren, the #1 trance DJ in the world, releases an annual CD collaborartion titled “A State of Trance”.
How does this relate to Vancouver? Armin Van Buuren came to Plush earlier this month to play two shows with the Friday show was completely sold out! The photo in this entry was taken by me at his Thursday October 9, 2008 show! Any excuse to post my amazing pictures up on Modern Mix Vancouver! :)
Since his concert, I have obtained his 2008 CD and have been listening to it non-stop and I finally feel like I have heard enough of his selection to be able to pick my favorites and I have included his track list below italicized the “general consensus” of the “most popular” tracks from ASOT 2008. I use those terms casually as everyone has their own taste in music, but the ones I have italicized are perhaps the more well known tracks.
Check out the Armin Van Buuren Myspace Page to listen to some of the featured tracks from ASOT 2008!
For those of you who are already listening, here is a track list for your convenience.
CD1: ON THE BEACH
1. Armin van Buuren feat. Jaren – Unforgivable (First State Remix)
2. DJ Tatana – Spring Breeze (Martin Roth SummerStyle Remix)
3. Mike Foyle – Bittersweet Nightshade
4. M6 – Amazon Dawn
5. Andy Moor – Fake Awake (The Blizzard Remix)
6. Blake Jarrell – Punta Del Este
7. Benya feat. Penny Nixon – Serendipity
8. Ohmna – Satori Waterfalls
9. Signalrunners feat. Julie Thompson – These Shoulders (Club Mix)
10. Myon & Shane 54 feat. Carrie Skipper – Vampire (Club Mix)
11. Julian Vincent – Certainty (Mark Otten Dub)
12. Tenishia feat. Tiff Lacey – Burning From The Inside (Tenishia’s Burning Dub)
13. Mr. Sam feat. ClAud9 – Cygnes
14. Lange – Out of the Sky (Kyau & Albert Remix
CD2: IN THE CLUB
1. Arnej feat. Josie – Strangers We’ve Become (Intro Tech Dub)
2. Sunlounger feat. Zara – Lost (Club Mix)
3. Offer Nissim – For your Love (Sied van Riel Remix)
4. Ilya Soloviev & Paul Miller – Lover Summer (Orjan Nilsen Remix)
5. Markus Schulz – The New World
6. Robert Nickson & Daniel Kandi – Rewire
7. Giuseppe Ottaviani – No More Alone
8. The Thrillseekers feat. Fisher – The Last Time (Simon Bostock Remix)
9. Stoneface & Terminal – Blueprint (Club Mix)
10. DJ Shah feat. Adrina Thorpe – Back To You (Aly & Fila Remix)
11. Andy Blueman – Time To Rest (Live Guitar by Eller van Buuren)
12. Thomas Bronzwaer – Certitude
13. 8 Wonders – The Return
14. Jochen Miller – Lost Connection
15. Armin van Buuren feat. Sharon Den Adel – In And Out of Love (Richard Durand Remix)
Posted in Music, Nightlife
Tagged A State of Trance, Armin Van Buuren, ASOT 2008, Club, DJ, DJ Armin Van Buuren, Electronic, Music, Nightlife, Rave, Techno, Tiesto, Tracklist, Trance
Armin Van Buuren, the number 1 trance DJ in the world (according to DJ Mag) and best known for radio show A State of Trance, is playing at Plush this week, on Thursday October 9th and Friday October 10th. His Friday show sold out ages ago and there are only a limited number of tickets left for Thursday night! Tickets are steeply priced at $60 (before taxes and extra charges) but if you’re willing to get over that hurdle, click here to purchase your ticket through Clubzone.
When I was in the line up for Pop Opera’s grand opening two weekends ago, I met a promoter from Twisted Productions who hinted to us that a very very big name trance DJ (ie. No. 1 trance DJ in the world) was coming to Vancouver some time in October. But it was very hush hush and he couldn’t say any more. Now that concert details have been released, it has been announced that Paul Van Dyk will be on his Vonyc Sessions world tour and he’s coming to Plush on October 30th! Early bird tickets have already sold out, but you can still buy general admission passes here…for $60.
So, on Friday night I went to the Blank & Jones concert at Richard on Richards. Blank & Jones is a duo from Cologne, Germany with eight album releases – well, nine now after The Logic of Pleasure. Great concert venue with an elevated stage and zig-zags of color-changing neon lights framing the DJs. The concert wasn’t sold out which contributed to its spaciousness and gave everyone the freedom and ability to JUST DANCE. I think this was one of the best touring DJ concerts I have been to in a while – a contributing factor being how Blank & Jones are trance DJs, which is a pleasant change to all the house DJ concerts and clubs I have been to as of late. And because Blank & Jones are not as mainstream as DJs such as David Guetta or Fedde Le Grand, the crowd there was willing to pay $25 for a concert they wanted to be at, as my friend Anca said, “brought together for the love of trance”.
Lastly, Blank and Jones had a lot of crowd interaction – a lot of hands up, and pointing back at the crowd and eye contact. Perhaps it’s because there’s two of them so one can entertain the crowd while the other one spins. I have a video of Blank just standing still and staring at my camera and grinning – probably thinking I was about to take a picture and not realizing I was on video-mode instead.
For more Blank & Jones videos, click here for their official YouTube page.
The next DJ concert I’m going to is Markus Schulz at Plush on July 1st. Hope to see you there!
Posted in Music, Nightlife
Tagged Blank & Jones, Club, Concert, DJ, Electronic, Germany, House, Music, Nightlife, Rave, Trance, vancouver
The HMV website has been going through some changes and reconstruction so as a thank you to their customers for their support, click here to print off a coupon for $5 off a $20 CD/DVD purchase at HMV in Canada, valid until June 14th.
, located at 958 Granville Street and an initiative of Donnelly Nightclubs, celebrated their two-year anniversary last night on Tuesday May 27th. As a celebratory memento, CDs were given out to attendees as a souvenir for the night. Here is the playlist:
1. Kanye West – Stronger
2. 50 Cen vs. Bob Sinclair – Ayo Hold On
3. Enur ft Natasja – Calabria 08
4. Commodores – Easy Like Sunday Morning (Tittsworth remix)
5. Axwell – Feel The Vibe
6. Kylie Minogue – Wow
7. Tom Novy – Your Body
8. David Guetta – Love Has Gone
9. Discotech – Sweet Apoloize
10. Eric Prydz – Pjanoo
11. Digitalism – Pogo
12. Whitest Boy Alive – Golden Cage (Fred Falke remix)
13. Holy Ghost! – Hold On
14. Estelle ft Kanye West – American Boy
15. Snoop vs The Jets – Sensual Crush
16. M.I.A. – Paper Planes
Coincidentally, tonight, I was also at for a networking event through Company of Young Professionals (CYP) and Leaders of Tomorrow (LOT). I had the pleasure of meeting Paul Stoilen, who is an operating parter of Republic. At the end of the night, we were given promotional bags with a media folder full of information on Donnelly Hospitality Management which is the “creative management company overseeing the marketing and operation of leading edge pubs and nightclubs in downtown Vancouver”.
Just some cool facts about the group from the media folder and press release I was given:
+ DHM owns and operates 9 venues – four clubs, four pubs and a cocktail lounge
+ Wallpaper, an architecture/design magazine, mentions Bar None as one of the best bars to have a drink
+ The Modern was voted as the best new venue in the Clubvibes 2008 nightlife awards
+ Granville Room and Republic were voted in the Westender’s Reader Choice Awards (2008 ) as the place for the best drinks